Burkwood Treatment Center helps individuals struggling with prescription painkiller addiction build a strong foundation for long-term recovery. Located near Minneapolis – St. Paul, Burkwood will help you smoothly transition from detoxification to our residential rehab center.
The Importance of Detox
The importance of detox for prescription painkiller abuse
Prescription painkillers have had very positive impacts on individuals throughout the Minnesota and across the United States. Their ability to decrease pain has significantly improved the quality of life for those individuals who have been afflicted with many diseases, disorders, and conditions. The most commonly prescribed painkillers are opioid-based medications, such as OxyContin and Vicodin, which contain the opioids oxycodone and hydrocodone, respectively.
Unfortunately, in addition to being a priceless resource for medical purposes, prescription painkillers are commonly abused for self-medication purposes and recreational abuse and pose the risk of addiction, which is only one out a myriad of potential negative outcomes. Some individuals have grown addicted to prescription painkillers after consuming these substances for medical reasons, while others develop dependence through their recreational abuse. Regardless of why an individual first started to consume a prescription painkiller, developing an addiction can be highly distressing and can cause a number of challenges to one’s physical and mental health.
Overcoming a prescription painkiller addiction can be made more complex by a number of factors, such as the prevalence of these substances, their ability to provide beneficial effects, and the onset of withdrawal symptoms when an individual has ended or has tried to end or are prevented from consuming them. When a person develops a prescription painkiller addiction, his or her body will get used to the presence of them. When these substances are not consumed in a timely fashion, the body will react negatively in many upsetting ways. These reactions are known as withdrawal symptoms. Depending on the nature and severity of one’s prescription painkiller abuse, withdrawal symptoms can include depression, agitation, extreme cravings for the drug, nausea, anxiety, vomiting, and diarrhea, sleep disturbances, tics and tremors, and cramping.
Since the pain of withdrawal can be decreased by consuming the prescription painkiller that the individual has become addicted to, trying to end an addiction on ones own is often extremely challenging. However, a safer, more effective, and less painful method does exist detoxification. Also known as detox, this process tends to occur in a clinical setting and under the care of certified professionals. In such an environment, individuals can clear their bodies of prescription painkillers in a manner that drastically increases their chances of developing long-term recovery.
Benefits of Detox
Benefits of prescription painkiller detox near Minneapolis & St. Paul, MN
As mentioned in the section above, safety and comfort are benefits of partaking in detox at a professional center for prescription painkiller addiction. However, detox supplies other advantages, too. Below are some of the many positive impacts of engaging in detox at a reputable program:
- Support: At the time of detox, individuals can benefit from the support of those who are also completing the process and from the guidance of professional staff members. Depending upon the program, support can vary from informal encouragement to formal therapy sessions.
- Security: When an individual is withdrawing, he or she might be tempted to hide from his or her mental or physical pain by relapsing into prescription painkiller use. In a detox program, any prescription medications will be stored safely and patients will be unable to access any substances of abuse, preventing them from relapsing.
- Safety: While it can be painful, withdrawing from prescription painkillers is often not dangerous. However, complications can develop. In a medically monitored detox program, professional supervision makes sure that all participants are safe during the entire process.
- Transition: When an individual has effectively finished prescription painkiller detox at a professional, he or she can then transfer into residential treatment, outpatient care, or to the option that has been determined would be most suitable for him or her. This direct transition can be critical in the effort to prevent relapse from occurring and encourage continued recovery.
- Comfort: Pain management can take a number of different forms in a detox program, including the administration of specific medications and therapeutic services. Detox professionals are experienced in helping patients avoid and address discomfort as it occurs during the process.
Many obstacles can prevent one from effectively overcoming a prescription painkiller addiction. However, concerns or fears regarding the pain of withdrawal, or the likelihood of being unable to rid one’s body of these deadly substances, should never stand in the way of one’s attempts at obtaining the professional care that can change his or her life. In an effective detox program, individuals who have struggled with addiction can obtain the support, guidance, and supervision that will enable them to end their painkiller abuse and begin a life of lasting recovery.
At our addiction treatment center near Minneapolis & St. Paul, Minnesota, we understand the stress that an individual can experience when trying to obtain help for prescription painkiller addiction, and we respect the strength of each individual who decides to make this brave choice. The professional and compassion staff at Burkwood are prepared to supply the comprehensive services that can help an individual out of his or her deadly pattern of addiction and into a happier, healthier, drug-free future. If you or a loved one can benefit from the treatment we supply, please contact us as soon as possible. We look forward to providing you with the information you need in order to make the best decision for you and your loved one.